Thursday, October 30, 2008

No new fun pictures yet...but I still thought I would write a bit about what's been going on. We are anxiously anxiously anxiously awaiting our newest niece on Mike's side to arrive....and I know Victoria, our newest niece's mother, is waiting anxiously as well. We pray for them every day! We are also very excited that we will be getting to see our second newest niece, Wendy, her parents, and her grandparents (my parents) this weekend!! It will just be a short day trip most likely, but it should be a good relaxing day. We will see. We may even get to see my cousin Melissa and her husband Matthew if they end up coming down to VA this weekend with us. Then it's back to work on Sunday for me : (....and on Monday for Mike. I have off Friday though so I need to take advantage of that! I have been having trouble getting up at a decent time on days I am off....I have so much to do...which of course just makes me want to stay in bed longer. It also doesn't help that Mike and I are addicted to the show 24 right now (Mike has season 5 on DVD) and I usually don't like to get up before the sun comes up if I am home alone because I get so freaked out!! I haven't been having the most pleasant dreams lately either....my imagination is really getting the best of me! But just two more episodes and the story will (hopefully) be resolved and I can finally rest : ). This past Tuesday (my other day off this week) I was initally pretty motivated to be productive, but the night before I had jammed my finger against the wall....partly, I claim, due to Mike's taunting that I was going to hurt myself if I continued to throw the toy hammer up in the air while lying in bed. He said, in the nicest way possible, while still laughing a little, that I exceeded his expectations in the extremity of my injury! At one point we were both considering the possiblity that I had broken it! Thank goodness it was just a bad jam. Which did, however, cause enough pain that I was unable to get anything done that involved writing on Tuesday...(my Thank you notes!!!) Friday is a new day though...I am determined to do them that day (by the way, if any of you are reading this, I am SO thankful for every single bridal shower/wedding gift....in advance...just in case I'm not as productive as I plan to be on Friday! : ).

So the question I've been asked most this past month is, "How's married life?" I usually respond with, I love it! And I most definitely do! But lately the question has got me thinking. Even after only being married 2 months, I've already realized that marriage takes work! I know those of you who have been married 25 years, 5 years, even 2 years are probably laughing right now. Haha....but I guess I was just under the impression that Mike and I are perfect for each other and we would just live together and have fun. Which we do....but it's even better if we are continually conscious of our relationship and how we can make it better than it already is....learn to love each other better, put each other before ourselves, and put God before each other. Not just hang out and have fun. Even though that's part of it. Last night Mike showed me just how much he loves me. I woke up in the middle of the night (around130am) in a lot of pain....Mike heard me rummaging through the medicine cabinet looking for medicine. He got up, and without me even asking him to, walked out in the freezing cold in shorts and a Tshirt, nearly blind (without his contacts or glasses on), and half asleep, to get me Ibuprofen that I had left in the car. And to top it off....after coming back in and getting back in the warm bed....he went back out in the freezing cold to get my heating pack that was out there! I'm so thankful for my husband! So lately....that's been my answer to the continual question of "How's married life?" That I love it, but that it takes work and I'm just realizing that....and it's worth it. I've been on the family life website recently reading a lot of their articles on marriage and I love them...well most of them. Some of them I have differing opinions on. But anyways, they've gotten me interested in hopefully within the next year going to one of their marriage conferences. I'm not sure if Mike is quite on the same page as me, but I think he's willing to think about it. So we will see!
Amazingly I'm at work today but have gotten to work on my blog in my few spare moments between my many tasks. But it's been a nice escape!

2 comments:

Jill Brisken said...

I liked your update on marriage . . . you are definitely right about it being fun, but taking work! I highly recommend seeing the movie, Fireproof. It is a great Christian movie and it really gets you thinking. We are doing the Bible study in our Sunday School from the church that produced the movie, and we just got "The Love Dare" books ourselves to do on each other, so that is really cool! You'll understand if you go see the movie! Well, I can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving!! It will be here soon!

Cox Family said...

thanks for the shout out and transparency in your writing. we are STILL waiting. and beginning to feel like the vacation may never end. We love you guys and as soon as we get enough miles you will have to come for a visit... ok well i guess we may have towait till this summer.
love
the cox'z